Sumitomo Tire Sidewall
- "P" means this is a passenger car tire (as opposed to a
tire made for a truck or other vehicle). P-metric is the U.S. version of a
metric tire-sizing system.
- "225" Section Width: The width of the tire in
millimeters from sidewall to sidewall. This measurement varies depending
on the width of the rim to which the tire is fitted: larger on a wider
rim, smaller on a narrow rim. The number on the side of tire indicates the
width, measured with the tire fitted to the recommended, or design, rim
- "60" Aspect Ratio: The ratio of height to width; this
tire's sidewall height is 60% of its width.
- "R" Construction: How the plies are constructed in the
"R" means radial. "B" in place of the "R" means the tire is belted bias
"D" in place of the "R" means diagonal (or bias) construction.
- "16" Rim Diameter: The diameter of the wheel (or rim)
- "98" Load Index: Load Index is a rating which reflects
the load capacity of the tire. This tire has a load capacity of 1,653 lbs.
For a more complete listing see the chart under Load Index & Speed
- "V" Speed Rating: This tire has an industry-standard
maximum service speed of 149 mph. Tires using an older European system
carry the speed rating in the size description: 225/60VR16. Different
letters correspond to different maximum service speeds.
- The letters "DOT" certify compliance with all
applicable safety standards established by the U.S. Department of
Transportation (DOT). Adjacent to this is a tire's identification or
serial number; a combination of numbers & letters with up to 12 digits.
- The sidewall also shows the type of cord & number of
plies in the sidewall & under the tread.